Using a sync package speeds up the synchronization process of empower, by reducing the data transferred via network to a minimum, enormously. The package contains all binary data of the empower database at time of export in the empower admin center. For security reasons, the binary data in the sync package is encrypted. If there is a sync package available for the empower client, all binary data will be read from that package instead of transferring it via network. If there are any new binary data added in the meantime (e.g. new presentations), this data will automatically be downloaded during the sync process.
The sync package has to be copied to the client computers (e.g. via a software distribution system) before the first sync process starts. It can be distributed per user or for multiple users:
- the sync package has to be copied to
empower prior 8.6: %LocalAppData%\Made in Office\empower\data
empower 8.6 or higher: %LocalAppData%\empower\data
- The sync package will be deleted automatically after the first sync process succeeded.
- In order to distribute the sync package for multiple users on one machine, it has to be copied to an arbitrary directory and the sync package file has to be write protected.
- Additionally, the directory path has to be specified in the XML. (How to specify the directory path for a FSP)
- As long as the sync package is available and the client has read access permissions it will be used during the first sync process.
- After removing the write protection, the sync package will be removed after the next client's sync process succeeded.
- The sync package can be removed at any time. If it is not available at the specified directory, the clients will sync without sync package via network as usual.
Article is closed for comments.