Our team has developed a clean-up tool that removes empower completely.
- all Microsoft Office products ( Word, Excel, PowerPoint) need to be closed
empower removal tool features:
- all versions above 8.0
- empower charts, slides, docs, sheets and mails will be deleted
- At the beginning the tool checks if Word, Excel or PowerPoint is running. If this is the case, the process will be aborted with the error code 7 ( these products need be closed before you start the tool)
- Autorun entries will be deleted
- RemoteServiceConfig.xml will be deleted
- EAV folder will be deleted
- Tokenstore folder will be deleted
- ProductManifests folder will be deleted
- Registry entries under HKU\.DEFAULT will be removed
- The empower.docs.DefaultTemplateProcesser.exe process will be closed.
- The product-specific start menu entries will be removed.
- The tool stops any process of empower sync or the live update hub.
- The tool runs the available uninstaller which are automatically stored during the installation.
- When the uninstallation is not possible or fails, all information about the installer and the stored uninstaller will be removed from the registry and the Windows package caches.
- The result is that you cannot see empower in as an installed Product anymore (Apps and Features).
- The tool runs the add-in uninstallation process which removes the integration from Microsoft Office.
- When this fails, we remove the add-in registration in office from the registry.
- The result is that empower will not loaded anymore or even shown as available add-in in Microsoft Office.
- The tool deletes all program installations.
- For the case Microsoft Office is running or any files are in use by any other instance, the files cannot be deleted, but will be replaced during the installation of a newer version.
- The tool removes any product specific registry entries in the registry.
- The tool removes all COM Class registrations for the add-In entry point.
- The tool removes user specific file based caches, configurations and log-files of empower.
- All operations are applied on per machine and per user base. To enable the access on the users registry, the registry is mounted during the process of removal.
- If an users registry is damaged and cannot be loaded, it is skipped. This has no side effects because a damaged registry will not loaded by the operating system also.
- The tool creates console output which can be piped to a file.
- During the runtime of the tool there is a temporary log-file stored under “%temp%\empowerRemovalTool.log” which will be deleted at the end of the process. This is for the really rare case the tool crashes suddenly due to external influences. (%temp% is a placeholder and depends on the way you execute the tool. It will be an users temp folder or the system temp folder stored under c:\windows\temp.)
- The tool returns 0 if there is no unexpected error and returns 9 if an unexpected error occurred.
Expected and handled errors are:
- File or directory not found
- File or directory locked (unable to delete)
- Registry of user not mountable
- Registry entry not found
You can download the empower removal tool here: