Set a Different Master as Default
If one of the empower administrators has set a master template as a company-wide default by mistake or this decision is no longer the desired as-is status, it is always possible to:
- Upload an additional master template and set the new master template as company-wide default
- Overwrite the existing master template and thus set it as the new company-wide master template
Read more on how to set a master template as a default here: Default Master
If the master currently set as the company-wide default is overwritten, users will receive the updated master as follows:
Reopen PowerPoint after overwriting/changing the company-wide default.
The local Office template used to launch PowerPoint (Location:%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates\Document Themes\Default Theme.potx) is always updated/overwritten at PowerPoint exactly when the company-wide default has changed from one PowerPoint launch to the next.
- When the company-wide standard is reset, PowerPoint first starts with the old or personal master, then runs the routine that overwrites the Office template for the company-wide standard. The effect of this will then only be visible to you after another PowerPoint start.
- If you set a different master template as company-wide default, ensure to run a sync afterwards and also check on your locally saved default theme (see below). It may take up to three start-ups of PowerPoint for the change to get active.
Revoke Setting in Database (On-premises or Corporate Cloud Hosting)
Until and incl. empower® 8.5
In the SQL database, navigate to the table tbl_SettingsPlain.
Search for the Name DefaultMasterId.
Set the value to 0.
Starting from empower® 8.6
In the SQL database, navigate to the table Core.ConfigurationSettings.
Search for the ID client.slides.DefaultMasterId.
Set the value to 0.
- If you are hosting empower® in the empower® Cloud, please reach out to the empower® Support to assist you here.
Before you perform any of the changes above-mentioned, ensure to create a database backup.
Delete Default Theme on User's devices
Even when you have changed the setting on the database as described above, it might be required to check the local cache on the user's devices.
C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Document Themes
and delete the default template here.
- The [User Name] serves as a placeholder and needs to be replaced by the user's name.
- If users have set a personal default master that differs from the company-wide default master, the personal default is overwritten by the company-wide default.